Just about this time last year [August 2008] the badly misnamed ‘Healing Revival’ in Lakeland,
Florida was about to enter its death throes. The so-called anointed healer, Todd Bentley, would
shortly be exposed as a drunken adulterer. Just a few weeks earlier on 23rd June 2008 a group
of some 17 self-appointed ‘Apostles’ and ‘Prophets’ had made their way to Lakeland to take
part in a ridiculous ‘commissioning service’ for both Mr Bentley and his soon to be forsaken and
divorced wife Shonnah. A helpful account of this farcical event can be found on the web site
of ‘Let Us Reason Ministries’ on
One of the supposed ‘Prophets’ identified in this report was Dr Clarice Fluitt – this is what
she said when it came her turn to ‘prophesy’ over Todd Bentley –
Mike Oppenheimer of ‘Let Us Reason Ministries’ and who compiled this report then astutely commented –
So just who is Dr Clarice Fluitt? Well a visit to her ministry web site on http://www.claricefluitt.org/index.html is certainly informative about both her and the ministry. From the section headed Résumé we learn a number of disquieting facts as follows -
1. We learn that Dr Fluitt is referred to as ‘Bishop’ Clarice Fluitt. Faithful and discerning Christians know that, according to the clear instruction contained in God’s Word, only men are sanctioned by God to occupy the important overseeing role of ‘Bishop’ or ‘Elder’ in Christ’s Church.
A portion from a short article on ‘Women Preachers’ that I have on file sums up the biblical prohibition quite succinctly as follows –
From another article that I have on file the author writes –
Pastor David Cloud in his ‘Encyclopedia of the Bible and Christianity’ in the section headed ‘Women Preachers’ wrote the following on page 460 –
Some of the immeasurable damage that can be inflicted upon the cause of Christ by scripture-defying female ‘Bishops’ is well illustrated by these two examples.
1. Posted to our website www.takeheed.net under the heading of ‘Video Viewing’ there is a debate on the subject of ‘Gay Christians’ between a local evangelical minister and a female, lesbian ‘Bishop’.
2. On this link http://www.christianpost.com/article/20090708/u-s-episcopal-head-ope
ns-triennial-convention-with-crisis-talk/index.html you can read the opening address given
to the Episcopal Church on 8th July by the Most Rev. Katharine Jefferts Schori. In that address she stated ‘The overarching connection in all of these crises has to do with the great Western heresy – that we can be saved as individuals, that any of us alone can be in right relationship with God’. The scope of just how much damage such heresy can engender is shown by the warm welcome that her remarks received from another female, gay, ‘church leader’ called Candace Chellow-Hodge and you can view her welcome for these remarks on http://www.religiondispatches.org/blog/sexandgender/1648/bishop_sends_shockwave,_slaying_the_sacred_cow_of_individual_salvation_%5
Bincludes_an_online_comic%5D/ Incidentally, this lesbian ‘church leader’, Candace Chellow-Hodge, featured prominently in my article from a few years back called ‘Philip Yancey: turning the grace of God into lasciviousness’ and that article can be viewed on http://www.takeheed.net/YANCEYlasciviousness.htm
2. Then from the Résumé we learn that ‘Bishop Fluitt moves predominately and powerfully in the office of a prophet’. We have already learned that Mrs Fluitt has no biblical sanction to style herself as ‘Bishop’ and from God’s Word we can see clearly that today no one, whether male or female should term his or herself as being a ‘prophet’. Whilst in correspondence with someone last year on this very topic I wrote the following-
A couple of articles that I found helpful on this whole subject of modern-day so-called ‘apostles’ and ‘prophets’ are located on
3. Finally from the Résumé we learn ‘she is fluent in all the gifts of the Holy Spirit… who continuously brings "revelation" from the throne room of God’. God’s ‘revelation’ ended with the ascension of the Lord Jesus Christ and the completion of His inspired written Word [see Hebrews 1:1-2 and Revelation -19]. Any claim today to fresh ‘revelation from the throne room of God’ is a violation of the great Biblical principle of ‘Sola Scriptura’ that was rediscovered at the time of the Reformation. When speaking on cults and false religions, one of the common features that I identify with them is that they have ‘an authority in addition to or in place of the bible’ – just by way of simple examples, people like Joseph Smith [The Mormons] and Mary Baker Eddy [Christian Science] claimed to have received such divine ‘revelations’ and these ‘revelations’ were foundational to the establishing of these particular unscriptural cults.
Moving then to the History of C.E.O section of Mrs Fluitt’s website we learn some other interesting facts such as –
1. According to this section ‘In 1971, the late Kathryn Kuhlman laid hands and imparted a healing ministry to Bishop Clarice. Since that time incredible healings and supernatural power have been continually evidenced in her ministry’.
Any claimed contact with Kathryn Kuhlman should be a matter of great concern for discerning Christians.
The ‘conservative’ Pentecostal ministry in America of Pastor Joseph Chambers known as ‘Paw Creek Ministries’ has an enlightening and revealing article on http://www.pawcreek.org/articles/pna/THeCharismaticStrangeFire.htm
part of which reads
The article mentioned “Kathryn Kuhlman and her spirit guide” is well worth a visit as it gives fascinating detail on the ecumenism and occultism that heavily marked the ‘ministry’ of Kathryn Kuhlman. It can be accessed on http://www.pawcreek.org/articles_pcm/end_times/kathryn_kuhlman.htm
As a ‘non-Pentecostal’ I would not see ‘eye to eye’ with everything that Pastor Chambers writes but I do acknowledge him as a brother in Christ who has exercised helpful public discernment, not only with Kathryn Kuhlman, but also on matters such as the so-called ‘Toronto Blessing’ and ‘Pensacola Revival’ deceptions.
Pastor Chambers has also been very helpful in exposing the dangers and deceptions associated with Benny Hinn and of course he, Benny Hinn, also claimed occultic/posthumous contact with Kathryn Kuhlman whilst visiting her grave. Details of this bizarre claim can be read in the article on the following link http://www.pfo.org/bhnecro.htm
Several years ago Benny Hinn visited Belfast and in an email from a member of the public I was informed, although I have not personally verified this, that Pastor Brian Madden of the Elim Christian Centre in Belfast, who are hosting this visit by Mrs Fluitt, was apparently active in encouraging people to attend the Benny Hinn meeting – in the light of all this interconnectedness [Fluitt/Kuhlman/Hinn] that probable promotion of Benny Hinn by Pastor Madden really wouldn’t seem very surprising. A large number of helpful articles about Benny Hinn can be accessed on http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/bhinn.html
This claimed connection to Kathryn Kuhlman should serve as a warning to avoid Clarice Fluitt!
2. Then according to the History of C.E.O section of Mrs Fluitt’s website we learn that ‘Bishop Clarice was ordained in 1982 through World Ministry Fellowship in which Kenneth Copeland and Hilton Sutton prophesied God's favour and power over her’.
Any claimed contact with Kenneth Copeland should be a matter of great concern for discerning Christians.
A large selection of helpful articles identifying the false teachings and heresies of Kenneth Copeland and others associated with the ‘Word of Faith’ movement can be accessed on http://www.cephasministry.com/index_word_of_faith.html
However, what particularly struck me about this portion from the History of C.E.O section was the expression of how ‘Kenneth Copeland… prophesied God’s favour and power over her’. In the mid 1990’s when I was researching and speaking on the so-called ‘Toronto Blessing/Laughing Revival’ one of the main ‘players’ in that diabolical deception was Rodney Howard Browne – and guess who, in the run-up to that deception, ‘prophesied God’s favour and power over him’ – none other than Kenneth Copeland!
This claimed connection to Kathryn Kuhlman should serve as a warning to avoid Clarice Fluitt!
By way of conclusion I want to refer back to the Todd Bentley influence that I mentioned at the beginning of this article. I have already mentioned Pastor Brian Madden who is in charge of the Elim Christian Centre that plans to host this visit by Mrs Fluitt. Pastor Madden personally visited the Todd Bentley happenings in
I wrote extensively about these events and that article can be accessed on http://www.takeheed.net/Current_Concerns/Healing_Revival_radio_debate.htm
Finally, perhaps you’re puzzled by the phrase in the title of this article that reads –
This is a parody of a movie title from some years back that read ‘One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest’. My reason for incorporating it into the title of my article is based on this portion from the Résumé section of Mrs Fluitt’s website where we read –
At the very end of this article I have also copied a current promotion from Mrs Fluitt’s website that again mentions the ‘Eagle’s Nest’ connection.
The movie, ‘One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest’ dealt with the bizarre and sometimes humorous goings-on in a mental asylum. The likelihood of bizarre goings on, as happened in the movie, happening also when Clarice Fluitt starts to ‘minister’ in Belfast should not be discounted, but for sure, they will not be in the least bit humorous, as they will do nothing to glorify the precious name of the Lord Jesus Christ – these will be meetings most definitely to avoid!
Cecil Andrews – ‘Take Heed’ Ministries